Teach students how to craft a powerful and engaging Personal Statement for college admissions. In this activity, students will think about different ways they can tell their personal stories by capturing the audience’s interest and using narrative techniques to draft a compelling Personal Statement for college applications. Students will examine a sample personal essay, identify and reflect on the talents, skills, abilities and experiences that have shaped them and made them unique and draft their own personal statement. Students will then provide peer feedback on one another’s personal essays and gain a solid understanding of what makes a strong personal statement for college submissions.
21st CENTURY SKILLS
- Explain the purpose and audience for a personal statement
- Examine a sample personal essay(s)
- Identify and reflect on the talents, skills, abilities and experiences that have shaped them and make them unique
- Draft a practice personal statement
- Provide peer feedback on one another’s practice personal statements
45-90 Minutes (1-2 class sessions)